I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through the product links on this page at no extra cost to you.
Many parents contemplate how they will get their housework done and, at the same time, supervise their babies. As soon as a newborn baby is welcomed into your home, chores and housework become very challenging.
These chores and housework may look very difficult to handle, but they are not an impossible task. If you are a parent and you have been finding it very difficult to get your house chores done in the presence of your baby at home, you have come to the right place for the solution.
Carrying out your housework and chores will not be difficult if you follow the tips I will share in this article. These tips will assist you in organizing your home and taking care of your baby all by yourself. Following these tips may compel you to change your routine a little bit, but not to worry, it is a worthy sacrifice for a clean home.
Tips on How to Keep Up With the Housework With a Baby
Use a Baby Monitor
A baby monitor allows you to closely watch your sleeping baby while performing the necessary housework and chores. There are several types of baby monitor available in the market today;
- Audio monitor – this baby monitor acts just like a walkie-talkie; it enables you to hear your baby’s noises when you are not in his/her room. A very good audio monitor you can use is the VTech DM221-2 Audio Baby Monitor with up to 1,000 ft of Range, Vibrating Sound-Alert, Talk Back Intercom, Night Light Loop & Two Parent Units shown in the clickable image below.
- Video monitor – this monitor uses a camera from your baby’s room to send video to either your tablet or your phone. This monitor often uses WIFI to broadcast the video feedback to an app on your tablet or phone. A good example of a video monitor for your baby is the Video Baby Monitor with Digital Camera, ANMEATE Digital 2.4Ghz Wireless Video Monitor shown in the clickable image below.
- App monitor – this monitor is made from the connection of two phones or tablets using an app to enable you to watch your baby while you do some housework. This type of monitor is not as sensitive and high quality as other baby monitors.
- Movement monitor – this baby monitor is placed under your sleeping baby’s bed; it gives an alarm when your baby does not move after some time. A very good movement monitor you can check out for your baby is the Babysense Under-The-Mattress Baby Movement Monitor shown in the clickable image below.
- Monitor for hearing impaired parents – this type of monitor is specially designed for parents with hearing difficulties. This monitor alerts these parents by using light or vibration that their baby is awake and needs their attention.
Heart and breathing monitor – this baby’s monitor is mainly for babies with medical problems. This monitor uses electrode dots connected to a baby’s chest to supervise his heartbeat and breathing rate. The Owlet Smart Sock 3 Monitors Heart Rate and Oxygen for Baby Safety — iOS and Android Compatible is a great one for your baby.
There are many other baby monitors; all you need to do is, select the one you feel is more convenient.
Use a Bouncy Seat and Activity Centres
Bouncy seats can be used to give newborn babies free but restricted playtime during which you can carry out your housework and chores. These bouncy seats are very portable, and they can be moved from room to room therefore making your hands free for cleaning and some other housework. The ideal age for a baby to use a bouncy seat is three to six months. A good bouncy seat to check out on Amazon is the Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker. See it below.
As the child grows older, you can put him in activity centres to not roll or hurt himself. During this period, you can do some house chores like washing dishes, laundry, etc. Children can also learn new skills in the activity centre as they play with toys, pushbuttons, etc. Here is a good activity centre you can check out on Amazon – Bright Starts Around We Go 2-in-1 Walk-Around Activity Center & Table.
While using a bouncy seat, ensure that your baby is appropriately placed and should not last more than 20 minutes in it.
Use a Baby Carrier
Baby carriers are devices that allow you to carry your baby on your body. A baby carrier secures your baby and leaves your hands free for some house chores and house works. Babies tend to fall asleep easily while being carried due to their closeness and body movement. A good quality baby carrier you use is the Ergobaby Embrace Cozy Newborn Baby Wrap Carrier found on Amazon.
The use of a high-quality baby carrier is one of the best ways to monitor your baby and do the necessary housework. When purchasing a baby carrier, ensure that it is
- Easy to wear
- Has proper back support
- Easily adjustable
- Very comfortable
Putting a Clean Caddy in Each Room
Putting a caddy handy in each room is another excellent way of keeping up with housework with a baby. Stock a basket of disinfectants, dusting cloths, and cleaners you will need in each room of the house to help save time reserved for cleaning during your break. While your baby is relaxing, swinging, or playing with toys, you can quickly do a fast, short and effective cleaning in one or two of the rooms. Here is a good caddy you can check out on Amazon – mDesign Plastic Portable Storage Organizer Utility Caddy Tote.
Having a stocked cleaning caddy in each room saves you from the stress of looking for each cleaning tool you need. It makes cleaning easier, faster, and less time-consuming.
Prepare Healthy Freezer Meals
Another means of managing housework with a baby is by stocking your freezer with food that can last you for the week. By stocking, I mean select a day out of the week and prepare meals that can last for a whole week. By following this continuously, you will have enough time to do other house chores and take care of your baby.
Preparing healthy freezer meals can also be done by preparing easy and fast meals daily. Preparing healthy freezer meals makes your life easier and less stressful.
Multitasking is another means of keeping up with your housework with a baby. This practice involves performing some minor housework like laundry, dishwashing, etc. while discussing or playing with your baby. You can also clean the counters and sink at the same time by discussing with your baby.
Another means of multitasking is by answering necessary phone calls and at the same time be playing with your baby. You can also cook meals for the week before the baby arrives.
These tips will help your household and make baby management easier, simpler, faster, and less time-consuming. There are other easy ways of keeping up with housework with ease and less stress.
- Vacuum before every nap.
- Create a daily cleaning routine.
- After every meal, clean the kitchen.
- Never leave dangerous objects with your baby.
- Get the whole family involved.
- Make cleaning a game.
- Make use of a timer.
- Clean up before you go to bed.