The importance of Baby Formulas can’t be overemphasized when discussing the growth and development of a baby. For a hitch-free development, you need to know the best formula for your baby; the one that will be suitable for them. Knowing the ideal formula for your baby will save you many visits to the pediatrician. Most moms ask “Is there a generic nutramigen?” whenever they wish to get Nutramigen for their baby.
The main reason parents ask this question is because Nutramigen is expensive, so they wish to know if there’s a formula that can serve as an alternative to Nutramigen. Also, as known that there are different formulas, you must make a decision to choose one for your baby.
Besides, Generic nutramigen are groups of baby formulations formulated in order to treat problems such as gas reflux, colic or milk protein allergies associated with newborn babies. The baby formulations must be up to standard and must be in strict compliance with the rules and regulations of regulatory bodies in order not to cause harm in babies.
Nutramigen are hypoallergenic, that is reduced allergies formulas prescribed by renowned pediatricians.
Symptoms of Cow’s milk allergies
There are different types of Cow’s Milk Allergies(CMA), which are IgE that are Immunoglobulin E mediated and Non-Immunoglobulin E mediated.
In IgE- mediated CMA, symptoms appear within minutes or just a few hours after ingestion of anything that contains cow’s milk protein. This is largely because the immune system reacts to the cow’s milk protein by producing IgE antibodies. The antibodies then activate the immune system to release chemicals such as histamines, which then trigger a rapid allergic reaction on the antigen, the Cow’s milk.
In non-IgE mediated CMA, symptoms appear after few hours or just a few days after ingestion of any substance that contains cow’s milk protein.
Symptoms of IgE mediated CMA
- Redness or itching
- Swelling of the face and hands
- Breathing difficulties in severe cases
Symptoms of non IgE mediated CMA
- Itching and Redness
- Colic-type symptoms
- Aversion for Food.
- Frequent stools
- Bloody Diarrhoea
- Stunted growth
Lactose Intolerance in Babies
In babies who suffer lactose Intolerance deficiency, the baby’s digestive system will not be able to digest milk but instead, gases and acids are released in the baby’s gut.
Lactose intolerance Symptoms in Babies
Symptoms of lactose intolerance in babies include Diarrhoea, in which the baby’s stool becomes loose, colic which persists for the duration of 2 weeks or more, abdominal bloating, excessive flatulence, and vomiting.
Examples of cow’s milk food sources to avoid
- Ice Cream
Types of Nutramigen
There are two types of Nutramigen which include, Nutramigen with LGG® and Nutramigen PURAMINO.
Nutramigen with LGG®
Nutramigen with LGG® is a type of formula with the acronym (eHF), extensively hydrolysed formula for the management of mild to moderate CMA. The protein in nutramigen with LGG® is taken from cow’s milk but has been broken down into tiny particles that are small enough to rarely induce allergic reactions in most babies with CMA. Nutramigen with LGG® contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus, friendly bacteria.
(a). Nutramigen 1 with LGG ® is suitable for use as a sole source of nutrition for babies with CMA from birth to 6 months.
(b). Nutramigen 2 with LGG® is suitable for use as part of a varied diet in babies from 6 months onwards.
(c). Nutramigen 3 with LGG ® is suitable for use as part of a varied diet in babies from I year onwards.
Nutramigen PURAMINO is a type of formula, with the acronym (AAF) which stands for Amino Acid-based Formula for the management of severe CMA or multiple food allergies. Nutramigen PURAMINO contains no cow’s milk protein chains. But instead, they are made up of individual amino acids.
Composition of Nutramigen
Nutramigen is made up of iron. It is a hypoallergenic formula formulated for babies who have problems of allergies, stomach upset, reflux or lactose intolerance.
Pros of Nutramigen
1. Reliability: The formulations are made from a renowned company, in strict compliance to given standards. The company is reliable, so if you’ve got any complaint about the formula, you can easily lodge a complaint.
2. Absence of Dairy: The absence of dairy in the formulation helps to prevent allergies as well as in alleviating pains, gases, and other symptoms. Babies who are lactose intolerant can easily eat this formula without worrying about any allergic reactions.
3. Absence of Soy: The absence of Soy in the formulation helps to avoid allergies and other related problems. There are some babies that are allergic to soy, so this means that Nutramigen is ideal for those babies since it doesn’t contain soy.
4. Quick response: The breakdown of protein into amino acids is easily digested by the body and is rapid in the effectiveness of eliminating stomach pains & bloats. Nutramigen is easily broken down by the babies body system and it doesn’t cause diarrhea, constipation, and other related issues
5. Balanced Ration: The formulation contains proteins, carbohydrates, fats, water, vitamins, and minerals which are the basic classes of food, needed in baby’s growth and development. The balancing of all the needed nutrients makes Nutramigen more beneficial to babies.
Cons Of Nutramigen
1. Expensive: The formulation is expensive to purchase and can only be obtained unless there is a discount by some companies.
2. Weird Taste: Due to its weird taste, babies have a propensity to develop a strong aversion for the formulation in their first intake. However, you can sweeten it. Read how to make baby’s formula taste better article to learn how to do it.
3. Is there a generic Nutramigen? One of the commonest reason this question is asked is because of the expensive nature of Nutramigen. However, the benefits your baby will enjoy from Nutramigen will aid his growth and development process, he will grow up Hale and hearty. And if your baby is the type that is allergic to a lot of things, Nutramigen is the ideal formula since it solves almost all allergic reactions in babies
Is there a generic Nutramigen?
Is there a generic Nutramigen? Despite the expensive nature & weird taste, nutramigen has exhibited its effectiveness in the eradication of gas reflux, colic, and milk protein allergies in babies because the formula has nutrients found in breast milk which helps the baby to have a healthy gut and immune system. In addition, nutramigen is made up of probiotics, a single-cell protein, which are good for health as well as healing the gut and a sure recommendation by pediatricians for nursing mothers to their babies.