I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through the product links on this page at no extra cost to you.
Winter is here again! It is time to protect your baby from the cold weather. The best way to do that is by staying indoors where it is warm and cozy. But what if you have to go to the mall to pick up groceries or you need to visit relatives? You have to go out, anyway. So, the onus lies on you to keep baby warm in winter in car seats.
Be careful with car seats in winter. As a rule of thumb, avoid wearing heavy clothing such as the winter coats and snowsuits for your baby when they want to use the car seat. In the event of an accident, the baby can slip out through the straps and be removed from the car seat.
So, the question is what should the baby wear in winter in a car seat?
How to dress your baby in winter in a car seat
Since your baby cannot wear winter coats, and snowsuits in a car seat, how do you dress your baby for the car seat?
1. Dress the baby in thin layers of clothing.
To keep your baby warm in winter in car seats, dress your baby in thin layers of clothing. This includes leggings, long-sleeved bodysuits, and tights. You can add a thin fleece jacket on top of it. When the weather is freezing, use long underwear. Add a coat, a hat, and a blanket too.
2. Use a Car seat Poncho
There are car seat friendly coats you can use, they are called car seat ponchos. Car seat poncho is common in winter. It is a warm poncho made from terry-cloth material. It is safe for babies to wear over the car seat to keep them warm and safe. It is light and fits over their heads for easy access. Your baby can wear it in the car seat as it stays over the seatbelt straps.
They are safe for car seats. Find some of them below:
2. Dress the baby up in hats mittens, socks or booties
Hats, mittens, socks or booties are also essential to keep your baby warm. These items will not interfere with car seat straps at all. So, get them to keep the baby’s head and hands covered to prevent them from getting cold.
3. Use a blanket
If you don’t want to use the car seat poncho for your baby, you can use a warm big blanket. You can snuggle them up in one over the top of the harness strap after the baby is buckled up.
4. Use a car seat cover
Car seat covers are designed with elastic edges that fit most car seats. It is insulated, fleece-lined and made from fabrics that resist the wind and snow. This means you don’t have to search specifically for your car seat make. You can just buy a good one and it will fit your car seat. It is easy to use, all you need do is to put it over the car seat. With this, you don’t have to worry about wearing a coat for the baby. Below are some of them. Click on any you like to view it.
4. Use a sweater or light jacket
Get a light sweater or thin fleece jacket for your baby when in the car. They are not bulky like winter coats, so the baby can wear them even in the car seat, you don’t have to take it off.
How to keep your baby safe in a car seat in winter
1. Always remove the baby’s coat once you are in the car: The first step you need to take is to remove the baby’s coat (there are other coats you can use such as the Poncho shown above) once in the car.
2. Ensure the baby is strapped correctly: The second thing you need to take care of is the point harness. Ensure the baby is strapped correctly in it. Make sure the two straps are over each shoulder and two straps are around their waist and they meet at the center to buckle. Let the buckle be above the heart and not at the waist.
3. Avoid using extra items that do not originally come with the car seat. Don’t add things like sleeping bag inserts or any stroller accessories to the car seat. They have not been tested.
4. Pack an emergency bag: A lot of things happen in winter. You may get stuck in traffic or the baby may get wet in their winter outing. Pack extra blankets, clothing, hats, mittens, non-perishable snacks for yourself and your baby.
5. Use the car heat temperature: When it is freezing, turn on the heat of the car to make the environment warm and comfortable for your baby. With this, you may not need a coat for your baby.
Keep baby warm in winter in car seats
There you have it! You need to keep baby warm in winter in the car seats. Check out the product recommendations and make your purchases. Keep your baby warm!