I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through the product links on this page at no extra cost to you.
Are you a first time mom wondering how to purchase the right diapers for your newborn? You are in the right place. The truth is, you will need to change your newborn’s diaper about 8-10 times per day. For baby’s age 6-month-old, you will change diapers for about 5-6 times per day. In the first month of life, your newborn will probably need about 300 diapers. So, you really need to know what works for you.
But before we dive into the baby diaper buying guide, let’s do the math. (Note: These are estimated figures I gathered from different moms, it is not cast in concrete. Your own baby might use less or more.).
Babies are different, what works for me, might not work for you. So, use the calculation as an estimate only.
Baby Diaper size by Age
The first thing to consider in this baby diaper buying guide is the size of the diaper you use for the baby. Actually, it depends on the weight of the baby and the diaper brand. Below is the summary of the diaper sizes by the age table.
It gives you an idea of the diaper size you need for every age. However, as I said at the beginning, it varies according to the weight of the baby and the diaper brand.
How many diapers does a baby use by size?
Each baby is different from one another. So, the number of diapers I use per size may not be the same as yours. Having said that, this is not a perfect guide for your baby. It is a general plan. So, to answer the question – how many diapers does a baby use by size, check out the table below.
|Baby’s age||Diaper size||No. of diapers per day||No. of diapers per month|
|Newborn||Newborn||8-10 diapers||240 – 340 diapers|
|2-4 months||Diaper size 1||8 diapers||240 diapers|
|4-7 months||Diaper size 2||5-6 diapers||150-160 diapers|
|7-12 months||Diaper size 3||5-8 diapers||150-180 diapers|
|12-18 months||Diaper size 4||6 diapers||180 diapers|
|18-24 months||Diaper size 5||5 diapers||100 diapers|
Source: Survey from different moms.
- On average, a newborn baby will use 8-10 diapers per day (some use more and some less). It is a known fact that babies grow fast in the first four months as all they do is eat, sleep and poop.
- That means a newborn baby in diaper size for a newborn will use about 8-10 diapers per day and 240 to 300 per month.
- 2-4 months old baby in diaper size 1 will use 8 diapers per day, 240 diapers per month.
- 4-7 months old, diaper use will reduce to about 5-6 per day in size 2. This means the baby will use 150 to 160 diapers per month,
- 7-12 months old, diaper use reduces as growth slows down. Diaper use will reduce to 5-8 per day in diaper size 3. This means the baby will use 150-180 diapers per month.
- 12-18 in diaper size 4 will use about 6 diapers per day. It means 180 diapers in a month.
- 18-24 months will use an average of 5 diapers a day. This is about 100 diapers per month in diaper size 5.
How many diapers does a baby use in a month?
Find the answer in the table below:
|Baby’s age||Diaper size||No. of diapers per month|
|Newborn||Newborn||240 – 340 diapers|
|2-4 months||Diaper size 1||240 diapers|
|4-7 months||Diaper size 2||150-160 diapers|
|7-12 months||Diaper size 3||150-180 diapers|
|12-18 months||Diaper size 4||180 diapers|
|18-24 months||Diaper size 5||100 diapers|
Source: Survey from different moms.
How many diapers per day for 2-year-old?
A two-year-old will use an average of 5 diapers per day.
What size of diapers does a 3 months old use?
A 3 months old baby will on average use diaper size 1
How long in newborn diapers?
A newborn baby will use the newborn size diaper until they get to two months when they will start using diaper size 1.
How many diapers do I need?
You will need about 1,200 diapers for a baby from newborn to 2 years old. Note: This number will vary depending on your baby.
Newborn diaper change frequency
Because all a newborn does is to eat, sleep, pee and poo, they use lots of diapers in their first few weeks. On average, the baby is changed about 8-10 times per day.
How many sizes 1 diaper do I need?
The number of size 1 diapers you need for your baby is about 480 for two months before you move to size 2. Again, it depends on your baby.
How many wipes do I need?
With each diaper change, you need baby wipes. On average, you will need about 4-5 wipes per change.
Now, that you know the number of diapers you need for your babies at each age and the size of diapers, let’s go proper into the baby diaper buying guide.
What to consider before buying baby diapers
- Diapers are in different brands, choose the right one for your baby. It will amaze you to know that every diaper will not work for every baby. You need to try them out.
- As your baby grows, the number of diapers will reduce, so don’t stock too many diapers in one size.
- It is common for first time moms to buy lots of newborn sized diapers, don’t do that. Buy them in different sizes because your baby will grow.
- Each brand has different sizes for each age, check it out before you make purchases.
- If you use cloth and hybrid diapers, the sizing is small, medium and large.
- If it is difficult for you to attach a diaper fastener, then you need to change the size.
- Don’t manage a tight diaper for your baby. It will leave red marks on the skin which can cause scars. If you notice this mark on your baby’s legs and stomach, change the diaper size.
Types of baby diapers
There are two different types of diapers. The disposable baby diapers and the cloth baby diapers. Let’s start with disposable diapers:
Diapering gears for babies
Baby diaper buying guide: Diapers
There are different types of baby diapers, but the most efficient and popular ones are Huggies, Pampers, Luvs and honest. Click here to see different types of disposable baby diapers.
Top 10 disposable baby diaper brands in 2021
- Bambo nature
- Mamy poko diaper
- Kirkland diaper
- Andy Pandy diapers
- Seventh Generation diapers
- Earth best diapers
- Honest baby care diapers
Best eco-friendly diapers
Eco-friendly diapers are also known as earth’s best chlorine-free diapers because they are healthier on the baby’s tush and on the earth. Below are the top 5 eco-friendly diapers you can buy for your baby. Check out different types of eco-friendly diapers here.
Best diapers for sensitive skin
There are babies with sensitive skin. If you discover that your baby is reacting to diapers by having frequent diaper rashes, eczema, and allergic reaction, you have to quickly change the diaper. Below are the top 5 best diapers for sensitive skin.
- Eco-friendly Bambo nature disposal diapers
- Huggies little snugglers baby diapers
- Andy Pandy biodegradable bamboo disposable diapers
- Bamboo nature disposable diapers
- Seventh Generation baby diapers
Best diapers for toddlers
As the baby grows, they become more active and need stronger diapers. Below are the top 5 best diapers you can buy for your toddler.
- Pampers cruisers size 3 to 7
- Andy Pandy Bamboo diapers, size Med – XL
- Luvs ultra leakguards disposable diapers, size 6
- Earth’s best tendercare Chlorine – free disposable baby diapers, size 5
- Huggies snug and dry diapers, size 6
Best diapers for a newborn boy
The truth is, boys and girls are different, especially, with the amount of poop and pee they dish out daily. Also, not all diapers that are good for boys are suitable for girls. So, you will want to find out the right diaper for your newborn boy. Not to worry, I have done the work for you. Below are 5 top best diapers for a newborn boy
- Huggies little snugglers baby diapers
- Pampers Swaddlers disposable baby diapers
- Honest baby diapers – multi-colored Giraffes
- Andy Pandy Bamboo disposable diapers
- Luvs diapers in 252 count
Best diapers for a newborn girl
Looking for diapers for your baby girl? Find the top best diapers for a newborn girl below.
- Seventh Generation baby diapers for sensitive skin, 144 count
- Pampers Swaddlers size N
- Huggies little snugglers baby diapers
- Earth + Eden baby diapers, newborn 108 count
- Pampers pure protection disposable baby diapers
Best diapers for baby swimming
Diapers absorb liquids, so most regular diapers do not work for swimming. Sometimes you will need to take your baby for a swimming lesson, at such times, you need diapers that will not absorb water. There are specially designed swim diapers that will not swell when it touches the water. The diapers keep the solid poop, but will not keep the pee. Below are 5 best diapers for baby swimming
- Huggies little swimmers disposable swim diaper
- Nageuret reusable swim diaper, adjustable
- iplay. Snap reusable swimsuit diaper
- Alvababy swim diapers 2pcs one-size reusable & adjustable baby
- Babygoal baby reusable swim diaper, washable
Best diapers for a crawling baby
When the baby crawls, regular diapers may not be advisable. Some of them keep coming out of place because they are not tight enough for babies who move around. Some of them even look saggy.
- Huggies little movers diapers
- Pampers cruisers disposable baby diapers
- Pampers baby dry disposable baby diapers
- Honest diapers for crawlers
Best diapers for containing blowouts
Blowouts! Sometimes blowouts are inevitable because of some reasons. There may be blowouts for newborns and babies that are still sucking, especially if the baby is teething. There are good absorbent diapers you can buy for your baby to prevent blowouts and having to clean up your baby now and then. Below are the 5 best diapers for containing blowouts.
- Bamboo nature premium baby diapers
- Seventh Generation Baby Free, and Clear Overnight Diapers
- Babyganics Ultra Absorbent Diapers
- Huggies Snug and Dry Diapers
- Luvs ultra leakguards disposable baby diapers
Best diapers for fat babies
If you have a fat baby, you may need to look for convenient diapers for them, especially if your baby is around 17- 20 lbs at 5-6 months, you need a good diaper. Below are the best 5 diapers for fat babies.
Best diapers for a heavy wetter
Babies differ from one another. If you have a baby that is a heavy wetter, that is, pee leaks out of the sides of her diapers constantly, then you need diapers for a heavy wetter. Below are the top 5 diapers you can use for a heavy wetter.
- Huggies little movers
- Pampers baby dry
- Sposie booster pads diaper doubler
- Pampers cruisers disposable baby diapers – size 7
- Huggies overnites diapers size 4
Best diapers for long skinny babies
As your baby grows, so you will need to change their diaper size and maybe the brand. For long skinny babies, you can use the diapers below:
Best diapers for a 3-month-old
- Pampers baby dry disposable baby diapers – size 3
- Pampers Swaddlers diaper size 3
- Huggies snug and dry baby diapers
Best diapers for overnight
Newborn babies sleep a little at night. They wake up regularly to eat, poo or pee. As the baby grows and eats more, the digestive activities increases and oftentimes, they wake up because they are wet or hungry. So, you will want to buy a better diaper for night time. Below are different diapers for overnight for babies.
The First Time Mamma Top Picks
- Best overnight diapers size 1 – Huggies Snug and Dry diapers, size 1
- Best overnight diapers for toddlers – Luvs Ultra leakguards
- Best overnight diapers for heavy wetters: Huggies overnites
- Best overnight diapers for a newborn: – Earth’s best tendercare chlorine-free disposable baby diapers, size 1
- Best overnight diaper for tummy sleepers: Huggies overnight
Alternatives to disposable diapers: Cloth diapers
Eco-friendly cloth diapers
Eco-friendly cloth diapers are healthier and produce less impact on the environment. In choosing the best for your baby, consider the material used in making it. There are cotton cloth diapers, organic cotton, hemp & cotton, bamboo, etc. The best out of them all is organic cotton. For example, the Alvababy baby cloth diapers is a good organic cloth diaper you can consider. Check out adorable eco-friendly cloth diapers here.
Below are the First Time Mamma best cloth diapers picks for babies:
- Best pre-folds: OsoCozy unbleached
- Best for small babies: Lil Joey AIO
- Best cloth diaper for heavy wetters: GroVia O.N.E
- Best and easiest cloth diapers to use: Bambino Mio
Baby diaper buying guide: Baby Wipes
Baby wipes are for cleaning the baby’s bum after you remove the diaper. It is important to get a good one, so you don’t leave chemicals on your baby’s bum. Click here for the best baby wipes.
Below is the First Time Mamma picks for baby wipes:
- Best natural baby wipes: Huggies natural care unscented baby wipes, sensitive, 6 disposable flip-top packs
- Best baby wipes for newborn: Pampers Sensitive Water-Based Baby Diaper Wipes, 9 Refill Packs for Dispenser Tub – Hypoallergenic and Unscented – 576 Count
- Best baby wipes for sensitive skin: Amazon Elements Baby Wipes, Sensitive, 480 Count, Flip-Top Packs
- Best baby wipes for diaper rash: WaterWipes Sensitive Baby Wipes, 720 Count (12 Packs of 60 Count)
- Best wet wipes for baby: HUGGIES Simply Clean Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes, Soft Pack (9-Pack, 576 Sheets Total), Alcohol–
Diaper rash ointment
Diaper rash is a common skin problem among babies, because of the diapers they use. This can become an issue for you as a first time mom. The truth is, each diaper rash has a different cure. Don’t treat your baby’s diaper rash with what someone recommends, it may not work for you. Please always consult your doctor. Below are different diaper rash creams for different situations/ages. Check out different types of diaper rash cream here.
Below are the First Time Mamma picks for diaper rash cream.
- Best diaper rash cream cloth diapering: Organic diaper balm by earth mama
- Best diaper rash cream for diarrhea: Aquaphor baby healing ointment
- Best diaper rash cream for toddlers: Boudreaux’s butt paste
- Best diaper rash cream for sensitive cream: Cetaphil with calendula
- Best diaper rash cream for yeast: Honest diaper rash cream
- Best diaper rash cream for heat rash: Balmex diaper rash cream
Waterproof changing table pad
It is sometimes difficult to find a place to change the baby’s diaper, especially when you are not at home. Having a waterproof changing table pad with you at all times makes it a breeze to change your baby’s diaper.
Below is The First Time Mamma picks for the best waterproof changing tables:
- Best changing pads for changing table: Poopoose wiggle free diaper
- Best changing pads for infants: Summer infant contoured
- Best changing pads for dresser tops: LA Baby 4-sided
- Best changing pads all in one: Skip hop pronto
Babies generate lots of dirty diapers daily. Throwing them in a normal trash can may generate an unusual odor difficult to get rid of. You can throw your baby’s dirty diaper in a diaper pail to contain the smell.
Below is The First Time Mamma picks for best diaper pails:
- Best diaper pail for cloth diapers: Ubbi Steel Odor Locking
- Best diaper pail for reusable diapers: GroVia Perfect Diaper Pail
- Best diaper pail for disposable diapers: Ubbi Steel Odor Locking
- Best diaper pail for daycare: Playtex Diaper Genie Complete Diaper Pail
- Best diaper pail for odor control: Dekor classic
- Best hands-free diaper pail: Munchkin step
- Best diaper pail for twins: Playtex diaper Genie
Non-talc powder helps to keep your baby dry, fresh and comfortable all throughout the day. It also soothes comfort and prevents odors. A good non-talc powder you can consider using for your baby is the
Sometimes it is not convenient to rush your baby to the diaper changing table after a blowout. Having a diaper caddy or organizer in most places in the house will make it convenient to change diapers. You can use have one for your car if you are always on the go.
Save up to 20% off diapers subscriptions when you join the Amazon Family. Enjoy exclusive coupons and deals on baby products, and free two-day shipping on items from the Amazon family. Check it out now on Amazon.
The truth about Baby diapers
There is a lot you need to learn about baby diapering because babies are different. You need to know the right type of diaper for your baby. Ensure you print out this baby diaper buying guide so you will have it handy to guide you through.