You just got to know you are expecting a baby.
You are happy but concerned at the same time.
A baby is coming!
You are wondering what must-have baby items you need as a first time mom.
It’s not as if you’ve not seen baby’s stuff before.
But you don’t really know all the things you need.
If this is you, you have nothing to worry about.
As a first time mom, I can understand your nervousness. Newborn babies need a lot of stuff for their survival. It is your duty to do your best to provide for your baby’s needs.
In this article, you will know the 69 must-have baby items you need.
Let’s get started.
Must have clothes for the baby
Babies outgrow their clothes easily. So, you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg on their clothes for the first 0-3 months. However, I will advise you to get a set of clothing for your newborn.
Below are the clothing items you need:
a. Baby Onesies: The Onesie is a bodysuit that looks like a T-shirt. It has straps that make it close over the crotch. It is a simple dress that makes it easy to change your baby’s diaper.
Sure, you know babies use diapers a lot in their first few months. So, you will change diapers most of the time. Onesies are comfortable for newborns and keep their bodies warm and properly covered.
How many onesies do you need for a newborn?
The truth is, there is no number of clothes that are too much for a newborn. For one, you will change outfits for about five times daily. Second, you cannot predict the number you will use because it depends on the baby. In one day, you may use one from morning to bedtime, while some days, when the baby has diaper blowouts, you may need more than five. So you need a good number of onesies. For a start, you can get 7 at hand. That is if you are ready to wash them daily. But if you want to wash every week, you can get about 14 pieces of onesies.
2. Newborn sleeve side-snap shirts and pants to match: Long sleeve side-snap shirts are good for newborn babies with umbilical cord stump. The side snaps prevent rubbing on the baby’s umbilical cord stump. It is easy to put on and off compared to onesies. It is great for newborns who wouldn’t like the onesie pull over their heads. It prevents scratches and keeps their fingers warm.
3. Beanie hats: Most people think hats are not essential for newborn babies. But they surely are. Newborn babies get cold easily in their heads, hands, and feet. This is why you need to always cover up their heads to keep them warm. You can always use it when you are at home, outside the house, in your car, to make sure they are warm.
4. Snap up rompers: Snap up rompers are the most convenient clothing for newborns. They are easy to wear and remove. It is easy to change diapers as well. You don’t have to pull it over the baby’s head if there is a diaper blowout. The snaps at the bottom make it easy to change diapers. The elastic on the legs are not too tight. They come in many colors.
5. Newborn baby’s shirts and pants sets: These are great for babies. If you get about 2 or 3 different sets, you can mismatch them to make different outfits. You can wear it for a baby on outings and even at home. Want to see how they look like, check them out below.
6. Pairs of pajamas or sleeping gowns: Pajamas are sleepwear for babies. They are easy to wear and sleep in for newborns. Ensure that your baby sleeps in one and not any other clothing. You can also get a sleeping gown if you prefer it to pajamas. It makes diaper change a breeze, especially for half-asleep moms.
7. Newborn baby sweaters: Sweaters are not just for the winter, they are for all seasons. This is because babies can easily catch a cold. They are also cute and useful for christening and bringing home outfits from the hospital.
8. Baby snowsuit in cold seasons: Snowsuit is great for winter if you live where snows fall. It helps to keep your baby warm.
9. Babies socks with grips: The baby will need socks to keep the feet warm. It is a common thing to see newborn socks falling off. To prevent this, buy socks with elastic bands on top. Make sure you buy your baby’s size too. Get different colors and designs to fit every outfit.
10. Baby hangers with clips: Instead of purchasing only baby hangers, while not buy one with clips at the same price. Hangers prevent baby’s clothes from getting crumpled. Get hangers that will prevent clothes from slipping off to the ground. You can use the clip to pin children’s clothes like jeans, pants, leggings etc.
Breastfeeding essentials for babies
1. Nursing pillows: A nursing pillow is a round shape breastfeeding pillow. It helps to position your baby in the right way they can easily nurse. It makes the list of must-have baby items because it saves your back and shoulders from aching and help you relax so that your breast milk can flow easily. The Boppy pillow is one of the best in the market. Read reviews from moms using it here.
2. Nursing bras: Do you need a nursing bra for your baby? You sure do. When you nurse your baby, your breast will increase, leak, and unpredictable. You don’t wanna know! Nursing bras are comfortable and make it easy to nurse your baby during the day and at night.
3. Nursing pads: Most often than not, first time moms require nursing pads in the early days of breastfeeding. It helps to absorb the excess milk that comes out of the breast after nursing the baby. This helps to protect your cloth from wetness and stains. They are of different sizes and shapes. They are of two types – reusable and disposables.
4. Cotton bibs: Cotton baby bibs are a necessity for babies. The thing is, babies can spit-up, drool and spit food on you. If you want to prevent your clothes from being messy, you need cotton baby bibs. They are also comfortable for babies to wear.
5. Burp cloths: Burp cloths are important accessories for nursing mothers. After feeding your baby, it is a good practice to allow them to burp to release the gas in their stomach. When they do, they spat. The burp cloth is the cloth you place on your shoulder as you hold the baby to burp. The baby burps on the cloth instead of your dress.
6. Breast pump: Breastfeeding is one of the most important activities to keep your baby alive. Though not everyone breastfeeds. However, if you breastfeed, you may need a breast pump to help express milk to give your baby when you are at work or when you need to go out of the house, or when you cannot nurse your baby for one reason or the other. One of the best breast pumps to own is the Medela pump. Check out what moms said about it here.
7. Breast milk storage containers: If you express your milk, you will need storage containers to keep them safe from bacteria and germs. This is where you need breast milk storage containers.
8. Baby bottles and nipples (for pumped breast milk): Even though you are breastfeeding, you may still need baby bottles and nipples for the expressed milk. If you are not breastfeeding but using a formula, you will also need baby bottles and nipples.
9. Nipple cream: When you are breastfeeding, it is likely you experience a sore or cracked nipple. This can cause bleeding from the nipple. Nipple cream will help to soothe and relieve the soreness and the pain associated with it.
Must have baby items for Formula feeding
- Baby feeding bottles with newborn nipples: Formula feeding requires you to use feeding bottles and nipples to feed the baby.
- Bottle- cleaning brush: The bottle cleaning brush is for cleaning the feeding bottle. It is advisable you wash your baby’s feeding bottle after every feeding with hot water and soap and allow it to dry.
- Bottle drying rack: The bottle drying rack is where you dry the feeding bottle after washing.
- Baby formula: Formula or baby milk is manufactured milk developed for feeding babies under 12 months of age. They come in different brands such as Enfamil and similao.
- Cotton bibs: Cotton bibs are also essential for formula feeding.
- Burp cloths: You need burp cloths for formula feeding just as in Breastfeeding.
- Insulated cooler/carrier for outings: This is the container where you store the baby’s milk to make it warm whenever they want to drink it.
Must have baby items for Diapering
1. Newborn diapers to start: You will need a lot of diapers for your baby. They will use a diaper every 2 -3 hours. That means you will use about 10 – 12 diapers per day. You will need different sizes as they grow.
2. Baby Wipes: Wipes are for cleaning the baby’s bum after you remove the diaper. It is important to get a good one.
3. Diaper rash ointment: Diaper rash ointment help to soothe the baby’s diaper rash.
4. Waterproof changing table pad: It is sometimes difficult to find a place to change the baby’s diaper, especially when you are not at home. Having a waterproof changing table pad with you at all times makes it a breeze to change your baby’s diaper.
5. Diaper pail or trash can with a lid: Babies generate lots of dirty diapers daily. Throwing them in a normal trash can may generate unusual odor difficult to get rid of. You can throw your baby’s dirty diaper in a diaper pail to contain the smell.
6. Non-talc powder: The talc powder helps to prevent diaper rash.
7. Diaper stacker: Sometimes it is not convenient to rush your baby to the diaper changing table after a blowout. Having a diaper caddy or organizer in most places in the house will make it convenient to change diapers. You can have one for your car if you are always on the go.
Bathing and grooming Essentials
- Hooded towels and washcloths: The washcloths and towels are for bathing and cleaning the baby after a bath.
- The bathing tub is essential: It is where you put your newborn and toddler to bathe them.
- Inflatable tub-within-a-tub (for after 6 months): Inflatable tubs within a bathtub is great for babies age 6 months.
- Baby bath wash: Wash is the liquid you will use to bathe your baby.
- Baby shampoo: Shampoo is for washing baby’s hair to make it look clean, soft and shiny.
- Baby comb and brush set: Comb and brush set is essential for not only to comb your baby’s hair but also for scalp health.
- Baby manicure set: Most often than not, your baby’s nail will need cutting or trimming. A manicure set contains a set of clippers, scissors, etc.
- Cotton swabs: Cotton swabs are for cleaning the baby’s umbilical cord and belly button, baby’s nose and to apply ointment on baby’s skin.
- Cotton balls: Cotton balls are great for cleaning the baby’s tush.
Must have baby items for an outing (Gears)
1. Car seat that fits a newborn: Car seat is important if you use a car. It’s dangerous to keep a baby in the front seat of the car. Check out what new moms are saying about this brand of car seat for babies.
2. Stroller for a newborn: When you are tired of staying at home and want to go outside with your baby, you need a stroller. There are different types depending on the terrain. Check out different infant strollers here.
Diapering essentials for baby
- Going out? You need a diaper bag to keep some baby’s essentials such as the diapers, wipes, feeding bottles, outfits, etc.
- A front carrier such as Baby Bjorn: A front carrier like a Baby BJorn helps to keep your baby close to you while your hands are free to get stuff done.
- Baby Sling or wrap: It is like the front carrier too, but it is more like a wrap.
Must have baby items (toys) for entertainment
These are toys for your baby.
- Soft books and board books
- Plastic links
- Soft blocks
- Activity gym/playmat
- Crib mirror
- Toys that attach to the stroller
Baskets to store toys in all the key places: baby’s room, the living room, the kitchen
Essentials for Sitting (toddler)
- Bouncer seat
- Stationary activity center (4 months old)
- Heavy blankets and quilts to lay on the floor
- Moses basket (for 3 months)
- Portable play yard
Items For Soothing Babies
- Pacifiers: It is a tool you can use to comfort babies.
- Lullaby CDs or other soothing music
- Music box made for the crib
Baby nursery essentials
1. Baby Crib: The crib is essential furniture in the nursery. It is one of the must-haves for every first time mom. The baby sleeps often during their first few months of life and getting a comfortable crib for them will help a long way in growing a healthy child. One of the best cribs in the market is the Dream On Me 4 in 1 Aden Convertible Mini Crib, Espresso. It serves babies from infants until they grow up. It converts to day bed and twin size bed. It is a worthy investment and a one-time buy.
2. Crib mattress: You need a soft and comfortable mattress for the baby’s crib.
3. Diaper Changing table: As a first time mom with a newborn, all that you will do most of the time is changing diapers. Changing tables make it easy for you to quickly change their diapers.
4. Baby Bassinet: Bassinet is also like a crib, but you can use it in your room, very close to your bed.
5. Baby monitor: A baby monitor helps you to keep a tab on your baby no matter where you are in the house. Check out this one.
6. Dresser chest: This is where you keep your baby’s essentials.
A complete list of baby essentials for first time moms
Now you have the complete list of things you need for your baby. No more worries or concerns. It is time to start buying them one by one. Don’t rush it. Buy them one after the other as the money comes.