Nature gives you nine months to prepare for the arrival of your baby. Except you planned to be the 476th woman that will deliver without knowing they were pregnant. Having said that, you need to get ready for hospital delivery.
In this article, I covered all the basics things you need for hospital delivery as a first time mom. I would like to start with the hospital bag first.
The best hospital bag for the first time mom
The first thing you need when planning your hospital delivery is the hospital bag.
There are different bags in the market, you need to choose the best. A good hospital bag should have the following features:
- Side pockets where you can keep stuff
- Interior mesh pockets with zip and adjustable strap
- Large enough to contain all the things you need for a hospital stay.
- A strong strap
- Durable, attractive and feminine.
What to pack in the hospital bag for the first time dad
If you prefer a separate bag for your husband/partner, you can get a good one for them.
Do you know you can also purchase a pre-packed hospital bag?
Let’s check them out.
Pre-packed hospital bag
In case you are a busy mom and you don’t have time to pack your hospital bag, simply purchase a pre-packed hospital bag such as the Maternity Hospital Labor Duffle Bag For Birth.
A good hospital pre-packed bag should contain items like your toiletries such as bobby pins, hair ties, lip balm, toothpaste, toothbrush, face wash, etc. It should have maternity pads, Shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant. With this, all you need is to pack your clothes and baby essentials and you are set for the hospital delivery.
What if you want to pack your hospital bag yourself? That is fine!. Below are what you need to pack.
What to pack in hospital bag for mom
- Start with your Photo ID, insurance information, and hospital forms. If you have a birth plan, add it.
Electronics and personal effects
- If you wear eyeglasses, don’t forget to add it.
- Sure, you will need your cell phone and charger, so bring a USB charge cable and a small and light power bank.
- Earbuds to listen to music on your phone when you are bored.
- You need two maternity bathrobes during the labor and one for use after birth. There is a matching maternity bathrobe for mom and baby that really looks good on you and the baby for the hospital. Check it out here. The robe enables you to move around freely and it gives easy access for medical examinations too. You can get two of the robe for before and after delivery.
- You need a pair or two of nonskid socks that you can use to walk around when in labor and after. Get a good sock that will make walking is easy without losing your balance.
- If you have long hair, you need a Headband or ponytail holder.
- You need two maternity bras and nursing pads. You will need them when the baby comes.
- Get a comfortable, loose and lightweight clothing and sleepwear.
- Bath towel -you will surely get one at the hospital, but you can have one handy too.
- You need underwear that is comfortable and large enough.
- Heavy-duty maternity pads: You will get some of it at the hospital, but you may need to have your own, in case there is a need for it.
- Get a breastfeeding pillow. Use the Boppy original nursing pillow. It’s one of the best. You can read real reviews from users here.
- Slippers or flip-flock to help you walk around the hospital.
Don’t forget to pack your hairbrush, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. You will also need a plastic bag to store dirty clothes in the hospital.
Cosmetics and skincare products
If you, like most of us, love cosmetics and skincare products, add them to the pack.
- If you are still feeling really well and want something to engage yourself, you can get some books, magazines, and newsletters to read.
- You need snacks and drinks to keep you busy.
- Get some sugar-free candies for your mouth during labor.
What to pack in hospital bag for C-section
The list of things you need for the C-section is pretty much the same as listed above under normal delivery checklist. But you can add the following to it.
- Slip-on shoes so you will not have to bend over while putting on your shoes.
- Underwear that supports C-section
- A small pillow to brace incision
What to pack in a diaper bag for the hospital
The next thing is what to pack for your baby. This is where you need the diaper bag mentioned above. Below is a list of things for your baby.
1. Bodysuits: You need a pack of bodysuits for the baby to wear in the hospital. Check out the Gerber Baby 8-pack short sleeve bodysuit. It is one of the best.
2. Socks and booties: Babies get cold easily, you want to keep them warm with good socks and booties.
3. Blanket: Sure, you will get blankets at the hospital, but it wouldn’t hurt to have one or two handy. You can get a personalized blanket for the baby to make the occasion special.
4. Going home outfit: Ensure you give your newborn the best outfit and also bring two or three to ensure that it fits their size.
5. Approved infant car seat – You need the right infant car seat for your baby. The Graco Snugride is one of the best. Read real reviews from people who are using it here.
What to pack in the hospital bag for dad
Now, it is daddy’s time, or yours could be a partner. What do you need to pack for your partner’s hospital stay? Below are some things your partner may need.
1. A change of clothes: It might take longer than anticipated.
2. Toiletries: Toothpaste and brush, face wash, deodorant, conditioner, and shampoo.
3. Cell phone and charger and probably call cards to use in spreading the news once the baby arrives
4. Snacks and water: Yours may not be sufficient for both of you.
5. Books, magazines, music to while away the time
6. Camera – it may come in hand to take the babies first pictures in the hospital
7. A small pillow for the headrest.
When to have a diaper bag ready
Your diaper bag should be ready by the 32nd and 35th weeks of pregnancy.
Should I bring a diaper bag to the hospital?
Yes, pack the baby’s things in it and bring them to the hospital. Ensure you pack the baby things such as the blanket, going home outfit, socks and booties, bodysuits in it. You can leave out diapers because the hospital will give you some to take home and other baby essentials.
Packing your hospital bag is not as difficult as you think
All you need is to get the list of things you will need at the hospital as seen above and you are ready to go bring your baby home.