I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through the product links on this page at no extra cost to you.
Most first time moms often ask “what do babies wear in the hospital”? It is an important topic to consider. Your baby might arrive earlier than expected, so, to stay prepared and sane on the delivery day, it is ideal to prepare your hospital bag and have it organized towards the end of the eighth month of your pregnancy, just in case the baby makes an early appearance. One of the most stressful—and most important—items on your to-do list would pack the hospital bag especially when it’s your first baby. You may be confused about what to pack and what items should stay home. Worry not mama! We’ll answer your questions regarding what items to pack in your hospital bag. Below is a list of what babies wear in the hospital.
- How many outfits should I bring to the hospital for my newborn?
- What should a newborn baby wear?
- What should you not bring to the hospital when having a baby?
- What do hospitals give new moms?
- When to start packing hospital bag?
How many outfits should I bring to the hospital for my newborn?
You’ve waited nine months to see your little one in those cute little clothes.
For your hospital stay, pack two easy-to-put-on outfits in case your baby soils one with a diaper blowout before you leave the hospital. Also, pack two undershirts, a sweater or light jacket (in the winter), socks or booties, a receiving blanket, and a hat (even if your baby is born in summer because the temperature outside will be colder than the womb).
What should a newborn baby wear?
No matter how cute and tempting the baby clothes may look, you must resist the urge to buy them all because babies tend to outgrow their clothes quickly, so buy only what you need in each size. Stretchy jumpsuits that have zippers at the front are best, as well as tops with envelope necks, as they are easier to get over your baby’s head. Avoid buying jumpsuits with snaps. Clothes made from cotton are a good choice for the baby. Cotton clothes keep your baby cooler in hot weather than clothes made from synthetic fibers. Cotton also washes well and is gentle against your baby’s sensitive skin. It’s very important to dress your baby approximately according to the weather. As a guideline, dress your baby in as many layers of clothing as you plus one extra during the winters. Be careful not to dress up your baby in too many layers as they can easily get overheated.
What should baby wear home from hospital in winter?
The winter period is a very cold period so you need to dress your baby in warm outfits. This includes putting the baby in a vest, sleepsuit, cardigan, booties, hat and mittens, a blanket to cover the check and legs, and a rain cover over the car seat.
What should baby wear home from hospital in summer?
Since the weather is hot in summer, it is best to dress them in light clothes such as onesie and light pants, socks and mittens, and a receiving blanket. The rule of thumb is to dress them in one more layer than what you are wearing.
What should baby wear home from hospital in spring?
What should you not bring to the hospital when having a baby?
First-time moms tend to overstuff their hospital bags because they aren’t sure what they’ll need and what they won’t need. So, here’s a list of items that you shouldn’t pack in your hospital bag when you’re having a baby.
- A lot of foods and drinks: The hospital provides you with all the food that you need to eat. Besides, during the intense labor pains, food will be the last thing on your mind. So, there’s no need to pack tons of food and drinks.
- Video Camera: A cellphone can get the job done just as good as a video camera these days. So if you plan to record those precious first hours of your baby’s life, then ask your partner to use a phone. Besides, when you see your baby’s face for the first time, all you’d like to do would be to cuddle and kiss their little hands and feet, not striking a pose for the camera.
- Diapers: Hospital will provide you with an ample amount of good quality diapers. So, there’s no need for you to pack diapers in your bag. Also, you can get affordable diapers when you register with Amazon Family.
- A ton of baby clothes: No matter how tempting it may be to dress your newborn baby in all the cute little dresses you’ve bought for them, keeping them in a diaper and onesie provided by the hospital will be much more convenient for skin-to-skin time, feedings, and constant diaper changes. All you need is one weather-appropriate outfit for your baby to wear home.
- Fancy clothes for yourself: dressing up in a fancy dress for the pictures would be the last thing on your mind during childbirth. Hospital gowns would be much more comfortable for you and the baby. As they’ll provide you with easy access during skin to skin contact with the baby and during nursing sessions.
What do hospitals give new moms?
Lots of hospitals provide you with free stuff to take home with you. Here’s the list of items most Hospitals give new moms.
- For Baby
- Baby wipes and diapers
- Baby formula samples
- Nose bulb
- Baby hats
- For Mom
- Mesh underwear
- A squirt bottle to help clean down there because you won’t be able to wipe it clean due to stitches.
Should I buy newborn clothes or 0-3 months?
Buying clothes for your baby is an exciting part of becoming a parent, but when you are faced with such a variety, it can become a little confusing for you. If you’re buying clothes for your unborn baby, it’s best to buy 0-3 month clothes, because generally, newborn size can be outgrown quickly. It’s important not to dress babies in clothes that are too big for them, especially, sleepwear. As it could pose as suffocation, risk for the baby.
Do I need to pack bibs in my hospital bag?
Some babies have strong reflux, and they tend to spit up a lot. So, it’s better to have two bibs in your hospital bag in case your baby spits up a lot so that their clothes don’t get soiled. Bibs will hardly take up any space in your bag. So, it’s better to pack a couple of bibs just in case.
Does the hospital provide baby clothes?
Yes, most hospitals take care of baby clothes while there. Some hospitals make it mandatory for new babies to wear hospital clothes with tags on them for security reasons. However, you can still bring your own outfits. But if you use the hospital clothes, they will do the laundry for your when necessary, that is less work for you to do in the hospital.
When to start packing hospital bag?
It is best to start packing your hospital bag at 30-34 weeks. That way, you can get all you need and throw the bag in the car for when you will need it. However, if you are high risk (pre – e), you need to pack your hospital bag early because you don’t know when the baby will show up. Pack it and put it in the car. It will be handy when you need it.
Above is the answer to the question “What do babies wear in the hospital”? and more. Hopefully, these questions eased some of your concerns about what should you pack in your hospital bag and what items will be provided to you by the hospital. To avoid panicking when the labor begins, it’s better to be prepared in advance. Ideally, your hospital bag should be ready to go before your 35th weekend because after that you’re at full term of your pregnancy and once you’re full-term, labor can begin at any moment. So, start packing to avoid running around at the last minute.